The 2019 Africa Think Tank Summit will be organized in partnership with the Government of Kenya and the Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA).
The summit aims at proposing strategies and actionable recommendations for think tanks to meaningfully contribute to tackling policy implementation challenges within the context of Africa’s vision as reflected in Agenda 2063 and the SDGs, through sharing knowledge and country case studies on good practices in ensuring successful implementation of policies and strategies.
To this end, through various keynote speeches, presentations, discussions, interactions and side-events, the Summit will address the following four (4) objectives:
(1) Share insights on challenges to implementation of development frameworks against their intended transformational impacts.
(2) Identify practical approaches toward the effective execution of policies and programs including sharing knowledge, experience and practices from countries/regions that are making progress.
(3) Deliberate on the role of transformative leadership (including the role of state and non-state actors) in tackling policy implementation challenges.
(4) Advocate for a coordinated continent-wide movement and platform (including the definition of a research agenda) for think tanks to be capacitated and support the implementation process of national development plans, SDGs and Agenda 2063.
The Sixth Africa Think Tank Summit is expected to generate the following outcomes:
(1) Increased dissemination of knowledge on implementation and development issues pertinent to Africa as well as improved understanding of the challenges and available solutions for the effective implementation of policies.
(2) Practical approaches proposed for the successful implementation of policies in Africa – based on countries’ experiences and good practices.
(3) Renewed, enhanced and sustained commitment of think tanks (and other stakeholders, including the leadership) to proactively support the implementation of national, regional and continental development plans.
(4) Platform for networking via fruitful exchange of ideas, knowledge and relevant experiences and good practices on what needs to be done to effectively tackle implementation challenges in Africa.