Operations Department is responsible for the entire ACBF project development and implementation process. The overall responsibility of a Program Officer is to manage project portfolios under his/her supervision through collaboration with other departments and effective engagement with external stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and make comprehensive recommendations on project requests and implement the management decisions on the way forward;
- Draft projects proposals to be submitted to potential donors for resources mobilization.
- Coordinate and participate in Project Identification missions as necessary to initiate the development of new projects.
- Lead the multidisciplinary team in coordinating the process towards design and appraisal of relevant project proposals in compliance with the Foundation’s mandate, standards and operational guidelines.
- Participate in the preparation and implementation of Capacity Needs Assessment and profiling exercises for Countries, Sectors, thematic areas and programs.
- Contribute to the preparation, negotiation and the signing of the grant agreement;
- Follow-up and provide support to projects for grant effectiveness and disbursement.
- Ensure timely submission of Annual Work Plans & Budgets, Procurement Plans and Implementation Plans by projects as well as timely processing of No objection requests;
- Support and follow-up projects, with the Monitoring and Evaluation department, to ensure project implementation leads to results anticipated;
- Participate and coordinate periodic field supervision missions, mid-term reviews and evaluations to determine performance, impact and addressing of any possible constraints to project implementation.
- Ensure timely submission and accuracy of quarterly, bi-annual, annual, and Interim Financial and Audit reports by the projects and transmission of the reports to the concerned departments.
- Review and provide timely responses technical advice to project requests and in consultation with the relevant departments;
- Follow-up and coordinate the finalization and submission of Project Completion Reports by project and End-of-Project Evaluations with the Monitoring and Evaluation department.
- Contribute to the portfolio review process and knowledge production and sharing.
- Undertake any other relevant assignments assigned by Director, Operations.
Selection will be on a competitive basis based on the following criteria;
Desired Qualifications and Qualifications
1. Education: PhD or master’s degree in Economics, Public Administration, International Development, from a recognized institution.
2. Prior Work Experience: A minimum of six years of experience in project management, implementation, design and evaluation preferably with an international organisation. Previous work experience with international development programs is highly desirable.
3. Language proficiency: Fluency in English and French languages is required.
- Planning and organizing
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Respect for organizational, intercultural and ethical values
- Learning and Innovation
- A thorough knowledge of program management, evaluation, reporting and budgeting; An excellent knowledge of capacity development issues.
- Strong organising, work planning and scheduling skills, capable of handling large volumes of assignments accurately and thoroughly while balancing several complex agendas.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written and ability to produce well written reports.
- Ability to respond to generate innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations, with tact and emotional maturity without losing focus.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with people at all levels in the organization in a multi-cultural environment.
ACBF staff lives the Values of Communication, Recognition, Excellency, Accountability and Modernity.
Applications, quoting the reference “Program Officer /04/2019,” including curriculum vitae with three (3) referees should be received at the address below by 17 February 2019
The Executive Secretary
The African Capacity Building Foundation
P.O. Box 1562
Please note, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified female candidates to apply.
ACBF is a smoke-free environment.