Capacity Building Project to Strengthen The National Statistics System in Zimbabwe (ZIMSTAT)
Project Name:Capacity Building Project to Strengthen The National Statistics System in Zimbabwe (ZIMSTAT)Institution :Central Statistical Office/Statistics AgencyProject Region :
Eastern & Southern AfricaCountry :ZimbabweStatus :ClosedGrant Number :202Grant Amount (USD):1 600 000Commitment Date:2007Closing Date:2011Introduction:
- Core Competence:
National Statistics and Statistical Institutions
At its 36th Regular Meeting, in December 2006, the Executive Board approved a grant of US$ 1.6 million to ZIMSTAT. The project aimed to address the human and institutional weaknesses apparent in the National Statistical System (NSS) and the Central Statistical Office (CSO).Project Description:
The overall goal of the project was to facilitate the transformation of Zimbabwe’s National Statistical System (NSS) to support the formulation and monitoring of evidence-based policies and strategies for national development.The project specific objectives were to:
- Entrench the Census and Statistics Act and transform CSO into a Semi-Autonomous Statistics Agency and thereby raising its profile;
- Enhance the institutional and human capacity of the new Statistics Agency to effectively discharge its mandate and provide high quality, timely and reliable statistical information as an input into evidence based and results focused policy formulation and monitoring;
- Strengthen monitoring, evaluation and reporting on Government’s programs, including the MDGs and PRPs by providing data and information required to assess results and impacts through the recently adopted Results Based Management framework;
- Raise awareness about statistics through advocacy; and
- Improve coordination of the NSS.
The project had three components. The Institutional Building and Development component aimed to improve the institutional capacity to carry out the Semi-Autonomous Statistics Agency’s mandate, assisting in the NSS transformation process and upgrading the existing information technology (IT), transportation and other equipment that is essential to carry out the project activities. The Human Capacity Building component was targeted at improving the qualifications and skills of personnel in the NSS. The Statistical Advocacy and Coordination of NSS component aimed to raise the profile of statistics in Zimbabwe and to improve the performance of the NSS through coordination and enforcing of codes of ethics and conduct for statistics producers.
Official website: http://www.zimstat.co.zw/
- Core Competence: